Friday, June 7, 2013

What Ali Wore

The son of Ali's boss is helping out in the shop while his...



The son of Ali's boss is helping out in the shop while his dad is in Turkey for the week. Ali was keen for me to meet his temporary colleague (also called Ali) so I stopped by the shop for a coffee and some Turkish sesame bread (simit) this morning. 

You have to admire Ali's work ethic. Yesterday was a...



You have to admire Ali's work ethic. Yesterday was a public holiday, but because his boss has gone to Turkey for a week, Ali went into the shop so as not to fall behind on the work that needed to be done. 

Another addition to the monochromatic outfit collection here also.

Saturday was a lemon shirt + leather vest kind of day…



Saturday was a lemon shirt + leather vest kind of day…

…For those who missed Triple Denim last summer. This time...



…For those who missed Triple Denim last summer. This time with the addition of a gold pendant. 

Yesterday Ali, his boss and I set out mid morning to go to one...



Yesterday Ali, his boss and I set out mid morning to go to one of the lakes north west of Berlin. Unfortunately the weather turned and so we had to revise our plans. These plans ended up including a stop at Florida Eis for ice cream, so I didn't mind.

The whole time we were out Ali insisted on carrying my handbag and only letting me walk on the right hand side of him. And I think he got a bit offended when I tried to pay for the ice cream! 

This was taken yesterday after Ali returned from work and got...



This was taken yesterday after Ali returned from work and got changed to go grocery shopping. 

This is the exact outfit that Ali wore when I took his photograph for the first time. http://tmblr.co/ZaCbQuS7OHBp The hat and the belt are even the same. I think you'd agree though that now the pose has a little more swagger! 

I didn't see much of Ali last week. His boss has been ill,...



I didn't see much of Ali last week. His boss has been ill, so Ali has been going into work an hour earlier each day to get through the extra workload. This was taken yesterday morning as he was on his way to work. 

Yesterday was the 1st of May public holiday. People in Berlin...



Yesterday was the 1st of May public holiday. People in Berlin celebrate it either by rioting, or having a picnic in the park. Ali discovered that I was planning on doing the latter with my good friend and colleague Tania, who Ali knows and has a bit of a soft spot for. So he asked if he could join us, and arrived bearing fruit and Turkish pastries. And wearing this suitably jaunty suit.

I had the final fitting for the skirt today at Ali's work....



I had the final fitting for the skirt today at Ali's work. He even gave me a lesson in using the sewing machine while I was there. 

He also told me that he was recognised at Alexanderplatz this morning by some young ladies who requested a photo with him. He allowed it, but only if they let him take a photo of them in return on his smartphone! 

Today Ali gave me a nice bunch of red grapes as he walked past....



Today Ali gave me a nice bunch of red grapes as he walked past. We also set up a date for me to go to his work on Sunday for another fitting of the skirt he is making me.

Please also note the smattering of green in the background. The trees have finally burst into spring and the streets of Berlin are green once again.

Today I went and visited Ali at his work. We went to a nearby...



Today I went and visited Ali at his work. We went to a nearby cafe where he treated me to a kebab for lunch.

This outfit definitely has the feeling of spring about it!

This was taken on Saturday afternoon as Ali was on his way to a...



This was taken on Saturday afternoon as Ali was on his way to a local bar to watch the football. I can't decide if I like the suit or the white leather shoes more!

And here's Ali demonstrating that there's no reason...



And here's Ali demonstrating that there's no reason not to wear a double breasted plaid suit to work on a Wednesday!

Last night I joined Ali at the wedding of his boss's,...



Last night I joined Ali at the wedding of his boss's, neighbour's, daughter's wedding in Spandau, with approximately 380 guests. Ali met me at the cafe after my shift and we left from there, and this is what he wore! 

While this is more of a low key look than we are used to seeing...



While this is more of a low key look than we are used to seeing from Ali, I think the slight lean and the hand on the pocket more than make up for the lack of sartorial exploration. I also enjoy the cargo pant style pockets on his trousers.

Ali finished work early yesterday, so dropped into the cafe on...



Ali finished work early yesterday, so dropped into the cafe on his way home. He had come to show me a copy of the local Turkish newspaper which had done a little story about us, accompanied by nine photos of him. We were both quite proud, so decided to ask my colleague Ed to take a photo of us together.

I feel as though Ali might have had an inkling that there would...



I feel as though Ali might have had an inkling that there would be a few more people seeing his photo today; this is quite the outfit!
It's been an overwhelming couple of days, and I would like to thank everyone for their very kind words. 
With the help of Google Translate I tried to explain to Ali today that he might be recognised on the u-bahn…he seemed quite pleased.

Ali + Green Chequered Shirt + Snow



Ali + Green Chequered Shirt + Snow

Ali totally rocking a New York City cop vibe, I reckon… 



Ali totally rocking a New York City cop vibe, I reckon… 

I've just returned to work after a minor operation on my...



I've just returned to work after a minor operation on my hand. I showed Ali the scar today…he kissed my hand and blew the kiss to the sky…I suppose this was to make it heal quickly!

This is the first time we've seen him in a plain black suit. I think he looks very smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment